Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Hello All!
Wow, has this November simply flown by! Although, when you are in suspense and preparing for one of the most important events in your life that tends to happen.

I have learned a lot about myself and my abilities this month. First though, before I get to that I will let you know what I have been up to!

I finally got my talent music finished thank you to Miss SD 2009 and Jay Hardy for putting wonderful vocals on an absolutely wonderful song re-done by Bill Wolfe's help. This music is so me! Being "me" throughout this competition has been extremely important to me. I even opted out of a gown that I thought was the one for something that was 100% ME - and it felt so right! It is beautiful and I am having it altered this weekend. Just wait until you see it - it is amazing.

I had the chance to visit the Rickneck Festival in Huron and help auction off some guns. It is hilarious that whenever I go to a function like this they always have my carrying and selling the guns! I informed everyone that I clearly had two to carry around already and and that one more may be pushing it. (My arms that is.) Needless to say we sold out of raffle tickets for them and there was an excellent turn out.

The very next day I headed to Bryant to emcee the snow queen pageant there. I met some amazing young ladies that we will hopefully see compete within the Miss America system within the next year. I had so much fun! I would have to say that after all of my emceeing gigs, I am much better at improvising. After all, the show must go on!

I had a chance to catch up with HOLLY Hoffman. She had a survivor party on the same night as her daughter Alex Hoffman's birthday. I find it a riot being able to watch her on TV every week. I was never a survivor fan until this season. It is really fun watching someone you know well on there. She hasn't gotten voted off yet - GO HOLLY!

The next day my mother and I drove to Hot Springs, SD for Veteran's Day. It was a very long drive and I am grateful my mother came with to help break up the trip for me. I had the opportunity to visit with many veterans at the State Veteran's Home and I can tell you what - what an inspiration! This one gentleman pulled out his journal for me. He has to fly 50 bombing missions before he could go home. He made it through all 50 missions alive and has a journal down to the date and times/how long it lasted/etc. It was simply AMAZING! It was so humbling to me to be able to spend such a fantastic day with all of these people who risked their lives to make our country what it is today. I am eternally grateful.

After the short but inspiring trip across the state my mother and I drove ALL the way to MN. This is where I took care of some business for Miss America and spent some quality "girl time" with my mom! We even found her a dress for Miss America and she looks stunning in it. I sure hope I look as good as she does when I am her age.

The next week was hectic, I tell you what. However, it was one of the best weeks I have had so far. I learned a tremendous amount about myself and my capabilities. I gave 12 presentations in 4 days. I started by talking to the Sertoma service club in Huron then I drove all the way to Rapid City to spend some time with Sally and Daryl Isburg (amazing people).

State Farm has been supporting me immensely in my efforts to get the word out about Distracted Driving. I am so grateful to them and all of the help and support they have giving me. Matt McCormick (Rapid City State Farm Agent) was my partner in crime as we zipped around town as I talked to students and faculty at South Middle School, West Middle School, Dakota Middle School, Belle Fourche High School, Sturgis Middle School, and Sturgis High School. I reached over 2,000 people in a short 3 days. I can tell you that my presentations are very emotionally exhausting for me talking about my brother, Kelson's, accident. It reminds me how truly important it is when students young and old come up to me and personally thank me for sharing that with them. I know that I have changed lives, and maybe have even saved a few already. I will never know but I do know the impact that I have had on others. I have received an outstanding amount of feedback from students that make all the hard work and emotion so worthwhile. Quoting one student saying "it was one of the most influential speeches I have ever heard." WOW, that about put me back a step. If I have this much power in such a short amount of time I know that I can truly accomplish, and accomplish well, everything that I put my mind to. (Yes, this may sound cheesy but it is 100% true.)

Here are some media links from my week:
http://www.blackhillsfox.com/2010/11/17/Miss-South-Dakota-shares-message-on-dangers-of-distracted-driving

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/vmix_303e05c4-f27b-11df-88f5-001cc4c002e0.html

http://www.bhpioneer.com/articles/2010/11/22/news/northern_hills/doc4ceab5a5e0328777786492.txt

What a gratifying experience. I have many more presentations coming up and I look forward to every second of them.

Earlier this week I spoke with Sanford Health with a proposition to partner. I am excited that I have them on board with me and my message. I cannot think of a more rewarding partnership especially regarding the CMN. Sanford has an amazing Children's Hospital in Sioux Falls. It was built to replicate a castle! I am so very excited.

I have dealt with a lot of loss within the last few years. Hard times and hard emotions have come down on my family starting with family illness, my brother's death, my pop pop's death following my brother's, and now my Mother's father has just passed on. A world of grief that was once unbeknownst to me such a short while ago it is now fully apparent. It has taken me back.

I am grateful to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my family. This makes me realize that even though things may not be going well with our family's loss there is truly always something to be thankful for. Do not dwell on any negative it will never change anything. Always think of the good times and that somewhere and somehow your world will fall into place.

One thing I have realized is that God puts you in a position for a reason. I know I am doing what I am doing for a reason and that all of the hardship that I have been through is only preparing me to handle what has yet to come. I know that with a few good friends and family to help me get by, I can make anything happen.

As I finish my post I want to leave you with something. This came to me tonight and was out of inspiration of hard work and life, and that even if things may not be going your way to keep going.

My original quote for you is "When the world pushes on you, push back harder."

Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your family, and don't take anything for granted.

God Bless.
Loren

PS. Happy Thanksgiving Kelson.

1 comment:

  1. Simply inspiring Loren. I enjoy keeping up with your year via your blogs, facebook, and the media. You have accomplished so much already, and half of your year still remains!
    I wish you and your family a lovely holiday season as you finish preparing for the week of a lifetime! Soo proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete